Resources for Black and Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) Unitarian Universalists
Thanks to innerbody.com for providing this comprehensive list of resources. Innerbody — researchers, scientists, and medical professionals with a shared mission: To provide objective, science-based information and advice that helps you make health-related decisions and enjoy a healthier, happier lifestyle.
Resources for Children’s Sexual Health & Safety
It is important to educate our children about sexual health and safety from an early age. A list of popular books consisting of nonfiction, fiction, and children’s books that deal with various aspects of child sexual abuse has been compiled by Amazon and local bookstores for young readers.
– SHOUT by Laurie Halse Anderson
– SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson
– Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough
– The Art of Breaking Things by Laura Sibson
– The Fall of Innocence by Jenny Torres Sanchez
– Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston
– Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
– Pointe by Brandy Colbert
– The Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
– His Favorites by Kate Walbert
– Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
– The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Women’s Center for Advancement 2020 book list (partial listing)
– C Is For Consent by Eleanor Morrison & Faye Orlove
– My Body’s Mine: A Book On Body Boundaries And Sexual Abuse Prevention by Kayla Marnach
– The Summer of Owen Todd by Todd Abbott
– My Body Belongs To Me From My Head To My Toes by Geisler Dagmar
– Not In Room 204: Breaking The Silence Of Abuse by Shannon Riggs
– Hands Are Not For Hurting by Nora Gaydos, Akemi Gutierrez
– It’s My Body by Lory Freeman
– Something Happened And I’m Scared To Tell by Patricia Kehoe, Carol Deach
Resources for Elders
Angelou, Maya. Letter to My Daughter. Penguin Random House. 2009.
Aronson, Louise. Elderhood: Redefining Aging, Transforming Medicine, Reimaging Life. Bloomsbury Publishing. 2019.
Athill, Diana. Somewhere Towards the End: A Memoir by Diana Athill. 2009.
Backman, Fredrik. And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer & Longer: A Novella. 2016.
Barry, Dave. Dave Barry Turns 50.
Conley, Chip. Wisdom @ Work: The Making of a Modern Elder. New York: CurrencyBooks.Com. 2018.
Ephron, Nora. I Feel Bad about My Neck: and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman. Knopf. 2006.
Gawande, Atul. Being Mortal: Medicine & What Matters in the End. Metropol Books. 2014.
Haruf, Kent. Our Souls @ Night. Vintage. 2015.
LeGuin, Ursula K. No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters. Harper Collins. 2017.
Leland, John. Happiness is a Choice You Make: Lessons From a Year Among the Oldest Old.
Levitin, Daniel. Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power & Potential of Our Lives. Dutton. 2020.
Pipher, Mary. Another Country: Navigating the Emotional Terrain of Our Elders. New York: Riverhead Books (a member of Penguin Putnam, Inc.). 1999.
_______________. Woman Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing as We Age. 2019.
_______________. Summary of Woman Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing as We Age.
Wimberly, Anne Streaty. Honoring African American Elders: A Ministry in the Soul Community. 1997.
Resources for Young Adults
We will add more lists of resources as they become available. If you would like your book, website, publication or other resource to be considered for listing on this page, please visit our Submissions. Thank you.